ICS in Loitokitok, Machakos and Nanyuki
ICS combines the power of youth volunteering with youth participation in development. In Kenya, the ICS programme is known as VSOJ ICS, and has had initial cycles implemented by VSO Jitolee in partnership with the then Ministry of Youth Affairs, Malindi Education & Development Association (MEDA), Il Ngwesi Community Trust (Nanyuki) and other organisations in the Coast region.
ICS is currenlty being implemented by VSO Jitolee in partnership with the Il Laramatak in Loitokitok, Kenya Red Cross Machakos branch and Il Ngwesi Community Trust in Nanyuki. Each year, we will host 160 youth volunteers where Kenyan youth spend three months volunteering alongside youth from the UK.
ICS volunteers work on projects that are embedded in long-term development programmes and with partners that have specifically requested the unique energy and enthusiasm of young volunteers.
Read the Machakos and Loitokitok newsletters from the downloads section below for more about the ICS activities.
How to apply
Applications for the February-April 2015 cycle are closed. Look out for the next call for applications in May 2015.
To apply for the programme, applicants are required to:
- Be Kenyan citizens living in Kitui or Mombasa counties.
- Have the potential of leadership, clearly shown through participation in community initiatives.
- Be between the ages of 18-25 years with an exceptional age extension to 27 years for youth with disability.
- Have the ability to clearly communicate in English.
- Have a passion for volunteering.
- Be able to commit themselves to a full-time 3 month volunteering programme that will be away from your home town.